Weston’s Birth Story

Weston is definitely our surprise baby! With Paxton, everything was planned, we were trying when we got pregnant with him and he was induced according to our plan. With Weston, from the beginning he’s been a surprise! We weren’t planning on getting pregnant with him {although we were thrilled when we found out} and his entrance into the world was quite a surprise too!

I was due December 31 but hoping I’d be a day or two overdue so he’d be born in 2012 {Paxton was born in 2010 and I liked the thought of even birth years!} I just knew since he was my second baby that I’d be miserable around 32 weeks to the end of the pregnancy but I was wrong! I felt fabulous throughout the entire pregnancy, I had quite a bit of energy and I was still able to do everything as normal with Paxton {including putting a sleeping 20-month-old into his crib at 38 weeks pregnant!}

Since Paxton’s birth was so fast for a first time birth {5 hours from the time they broke my water and started pitocin until the time he was born}, I was convinced that my second baby would come quickly and one of my fears throughout this pregnancy was not making it to the hospital on time!

On Tuesday, December 20, I was 38 weeks 3 days pregnant and I had quite the day! I cleaned our home thoroughly, did some pre-Christmas de-cluttering and a lot of laundry! By the end of the day I was tired from all of the ‘nesting’. That night when I laid down to go to sleep, I felt what could best be described as a burrowing sensation. I could feel his little head moving further down. I had never felt anything like that with Paxton! I didn’t sleep very well that night and then Paxton woke up around 2 am and he slept the rest of the night with us. I had trouble sleeping, I kept tossing and turning and just couldn’t get comfortable.

Wednesday morning I woke up feeling really good especially considering the rough night I’d had. I did decide to take the day easy though since I didn’t want to do anything that could put me into labor, especially since John David was working late that night. Paxton and I stayed in our jammies well into the morning. I updated our finances, scheduling our mortgage payment so we wouldn’t have to worry about that on January 1! The day was pretty typical except for John David being gone all evening. I put Paxton down around 8:00 and I was feeling tired too so I decided to go ahead and get in bed after starting a load of diaper laundry.

I stayed up waiting for John David to get home and he finally arrived around 10. We stayed up talking and playing Words with Friends until 11:30. Once again I felt the burrowing sensation when I laid down. I was having an occasional contraction but they were typical Braxton-Hicks. I went to sleep fairly easily.

Between going to bed at 11:30 and 1:30, I woke up 2 or 3 times having a mild contraction. While I was having the contraction, I’d walk to the bathroom, pee and then walk back to bed and go back to sleep. They were slightly uncomfortable but nothing painful. After the contraction I had around 1:30 I was unable to get comfortable so I got out of bed, went to the bathroom again and then turned on my lamp.

I had another contraction at 1:40 and decided to start timing them since it was appearing that they were getting closer together. I had contractions at 1:40, 1:48, 1:54, 1:58 so they were very quickly getting closer together. I wasn’t incredibly uncomfortable as long as I was standing so I could sway my hips and move around with the contractions. I had a little bit of back labor with Paxton and these contractions were very similar, the contraction would start in my back and move around to my belly and my back hurt more than anything! I decided to run out to the laundry around 2 to run the final rinse on diapers and I came back in and my contractions were still 4 minutes apart.

I still wasn’t sure if I was really in labor or if it was false labor. I knew you were supposed to go to the hospital when contractions were 5 minutes apart but I really wasn’t in horrible, unbearable pain. Around 2:30, I woke up John David and started packing the hospital bags. I still wasn’t convinced I was in real labor even though the labor book we were referring to at this point indicated that I was in active labor. Finally, we decided it was labor and we needed to start really preparing to go to the hospital.

John David called my friend Ashley around 3:20 to see if she would come stay with Paxton. While we were waiting on Ashley, I was packing a bag for Paxton and gathering stuff for our bags while John David was loading the car. {I should add here that John David got the clean diapers out of the wash and hung them on the drying rack. I had been very concerned about leaving dirty diapers at home when I went into labor so this was a relief!}

Ashley arrived around 3:35 and we gave her a few instructions for Paxton and we left after I had a contraction while attempting to get into the car. At this point, contractions were 3-4 minutes apart and I had about 3 contractions which were so uncomfortable since I couldn’t move much. Riding in the car made the back labor even worse!

We arrived at the hospital around 3:30 and got a front row spot so I was able to walk in. We went into the registration room where I had 2 more contractions. After I was checked in, they sent us to a waiting area and I had 3 contractions which were very intense and I had the urge to push.

A nurse came out and we went to an admitting room where I changed into a gown through another contraction. I was checked and was dilated to 10 centimeters! I was wheeled into a delivery room while having contractions lying flat on my back which was so uncomfortable. At this point I also was fighting the urge to push.

We got into the delivery room and I was moved onto the bed. I was hooked up to a monitor at 3:58, had my blood drawn and an IV put in. At this point, I had an overwhelming urge to push and was begging to be allowed to push. The nurses kept telling me to just breathe through the contractions and not push because the midwife was not there yet. {I should add that this period of not being able to push was the worst part of the whole labor and delivery. My body was ready to do what it was supposed to do and trying not to was so hard!}

While waiting for the midwife to arrive, John David ran out to the car to grab our camera and while he was gone and as our midwife was arriving, I couldn’t fight the urge to push anymore. I pushed and my water broke. Then John David got back and the midwife was there and I was finally able to start pushing! It was such a relief to be able to push. It didn’t feel good nor was it easy but it was so wonderful to be able to do what my body needed to do.

I pushed about 4 or 5 times in a period of 5 minutes or less and Weston was born at 4:16 am! It was such a relief to feel him come out. I was so excited that I had delivered without any medication but a bit embarrassed at how loud I was while delivering him!

Weston weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces and was 20 inches long! {Paxton was 8 pounds 8 ounces, so he was considerably smaller!}

Unfortunately I did rip at the site of my old tear but thankfully it was only a second degree tear instead of a third degree which I had with Paxton. Finally, after stitches {which to me was almost worse than the delivery even though I had local anesthesia} I was able to hold him again and count his fingers and toes.

I unwrapped him for skin to skin and nursing, he latched on perfectly and started nursing right away, it was completely natural for both of us. It was amazing how much more confident I felt nursing him, I suppose 15 months of breastfeeding experience gives a mama confidence! After Weston finished nursing, we moved to our postpartum room around 6:30 am.

We’re still in disbelief that labor started at 1:30 and Weston was born at 4:16! That’s only 2 hours and 45 minutes of labor!

Around 2:30 that afternoon, John David went and got Paxton and brought him back to the hospital to meet his new brother and spend some time with us! He noticed Weston right when he walked in the room and was thrilled to see ‘baby’!

We’re adjusting well as a family of four. Paxton has not acted jealous of Weston and is taking his role as big brother quite seriously!

We feel so blessed that I had a quick and easy labor and delivery and we have another healthy and beautiful son!

32 Replies to “Weston’s Birth Story”

  1. what a wonderful birth story- thank you for sharing with us! I couldn't remember if you were due before or after Christmas, so I guess that really was a surprise. My body, it seems, likes to overcook babies- I was due on the 25th and here I sit without a baby to hold yet. It's very frustrating! But I am happy that things went so well for you during the pregnancy and birth! Congrats to you all!

  2. Congrats, Rachel!! How awesome that you were able to do it naturally – although with as fast as he came, you didn't really have a choice! He is just precious! Glad you all are adjusting well.

    1. Thank you! I was hoping to have a natural birth this time and was better prepared this time and since I wasn't laboring at the hospital I never once was tempted by an epidural! 🙂

    1. Yes, very close call! We're thankful we decided to call Ashley when we did, otherwise he would have been born at home or probably in the car and I can only imagine that would not have been quite scary!!

    1. We're adjusting quite well as a family of 4 and all of my worries about being a mama to two have gone away!! And it's heartwarming to see Paxton with his brother, he loves him! I'm excited for the arrival of your new baby girl and seeing Vera as a big sister!!

  3. Oh Rachel! What a great story and a fast labor. I know lots of ladies are jealous of that!!!
    Your boys are beautiful! Congratulations and I hope you heal quickly. Healing is harder than adjusting with 2 babies being in the house.

    1. It was a very easy labor and delivery, yes it was painful but my whole labor lasted as long as some women push and for that I'm very thankful! I'm feeling wonderful, just trying to take it easy and soak in this short time of having a newborn!

  4. Congratulations! While you've been adjusting to your new job as mother of 2, I discovered your blog by chance and have read some of the old posts. May I say how much I like it – and as my boyfriend of 6 years and I have recently parted ways so I am now on a single budget again, your blog has been very inspirational and given me ideas for long-term goals.
    Happy New Year!

  5. 1) I'm incredibly jealous of your short labor! 2) Yay for a beautiful, natural labor and delivery! 3) I agree 100% on the stitches being worse than unmedicated delivery, LOL. My doc lets me hold the baby while I'm stitched up. He laughs at me. "You just had a baby without meds. You can handle the stitches WITH meds! Focus on the baby… focus on the baby." ha!

    1. I am thankful for the short labor, I never imagined it would be quite this quick though! When I read other birth stories now of women pushing for 2 hours or so, I'm even more thankful…I cannot imagine that! And, the stitches were the worst! I wish I could have been holding him to have something to focus on! I was watching him as he was getting weighed and cleaned up to try to distract myself but it didn't work too well!! 🙂

  6. What an exciting story! I read this blog often and wasn't expecting to read this until next week! I've always heard that the second baby comes quiker than the first.
    Now I officially have "baby fever" and want to get started on having my second child! 😉
    You look great after delivery. Congratulations!

  7. Yay! So glad the delivery went so well! So happy for your little family! Congratulations and best wishes for you guys through the next year!

  8. Oh what a little sweetheart, and what a story! That is really quick – I hope when we are blessed with another little one that our delivery goes as smoothly. Our last one was a little more complicated so I can only hope! 🙂
    Best wishes for your family as we go into the new year!


  9. Congratulations! What a wonderful birth story and you look great! 😀 I feel for the "loud noises" embarrassment, I had the same thoughts with my second too and went around afterwards apologizing to everyone there. lol. My second was a bit of a surprise birth too – first contraction woke me up at 4:30am, rushed around while in labour organizing everything at home, finally arrived at the hospital at 6am, went straight to a delivery room and little Hannah was born at 6:06am! My husband didn't even get back in time from parking the car! lol!
    Quite the experience, but a great story for them when they're older I think. 🙂

Comments are closed.